Magazine Advert Research

Magazine adverts are used to promote new albums, which are being released. They are very effective in making the new album successful because the adverts get the message out in a creative, visual way. I have discovered that the magazine adverts are usually the front cover of the album itself or the same photography which is present on the front of the cover. These are both successful ways in making the album known due to the audience being able to identify the look of the album when released, meaning that they are more likely to buy it.
In addition the colour scheme is usually consistent with the album to ensure they flow together and can show a consistent look. The colour scheme of the magazine adverts which I have researched within the indie genre, utilise dark colour palettes. I believe that this looks effective because it makes the advert more intense and eye-catching, meaning it would get more of an interest by their target audience. However, there are some which break this conventional theme such as the Lana Del Rey magazine advert because it involves light colours giving more of a retro appearance. I like all these colour palettes, however, I have decided that I will use a certain colour scheme which will match my digipak - to ensure it flows, but I think I may add some dark tones into it. This will make it appear very intense - to ensure that it conducts its purpose of being an advert effectively.
The magazine adverts are usually very simplistic and only show the most relevant information. There are a variety of different sizes of fonts used which are chosen in relevance to the importance of the information. I will use a similar technique on my magazine advert because it will allow me to ensure my advert has more chance in attracting my target audience. Most of the magazine adverts that I have looked at are very simplistic and minimal, with a large image and then a limited amount of text presented over the photo. I would like to create a similar appearance to this because it would allow my magazine advert to follow conventions, making it more recognisable as an advert for a new album. I have discovered from doing research into these magazine adverts, that they usually have the name of the band/artist either at the top of the page or in the middle of the page, ensuring that it is a clear focus for the audience to identify who the album is by. In addition, on magazine adverts the album name and date of when the album is going to be officially released is usually in a medium sized font, to ensure the audience can see the key details in leading them to buying the album.
The magazine adverts that promote new albums all have some kind of visual relevance to the name and concept of the new album. This is key in making the advert effective in attracting the audience into buying the new album because it gives them a visual idea of how the album will sound when played, and what kind of look the album will have, to ensure that it can easily be found and bought in shops. I believe that I will make my magazine advert very simplistic like the Arctic Monkeys advert because it will allow me to ensure that the page will look visually appealing and attractive to my audience, leading them to read it. If the magazine article is cluttered with information, then it could put the audience off form reading it, enabling the album to be a flop with the amount of sales when it is released.

Comments